February 1, 2012

Thursday, 1 February 1912

Scott

"Started well in the afternoon and came down a steep slope in quick time," wrote Scott, "then the surface turned real bad -- sandy drifts -- very heavy pulling. Working on past 8 P.M. we just fetched a lunch cairn of December 29, when we were only a week out from the depôt [Upper Glacier Depot]. It ought to be easy to get in with a margin, having 8 days' food in hand (full feeding). We have opened out on the 1/7th increase and it makes a lot of difference. Wilson's leg much better. Evans' fingers now very bad, two nails coming off, blisters burst."

"We had a very fine day but a very heavy pull," wrote Lashly to the north, "but we did 13 miles. Mr. Evans and myself have been out 100 days to-day. I have had to change my shirt again. This is the last clean side I have got. I have been wearing two shirts and each side will now have done duty next the skin, as I have changed round each month, and I have certainly found the benefit of it, and on the point we all three agree. Mr. Evans is still gradually worse: it is no good closing our eyes to the fact. We must push on as we have a long way to go yet." [1]


Notes

[1] William Lashly, diary, 1 February, 1912, quoted by Apsley Cherry-Garrard in The Worst Journey in the World, ch.XII.

No comments:

Post a Comment