September 9, 2009

Thursday, 9 September 1909

Amundsen

Amundsen wrote to Jens Daugaard-Jensen, the Inspector (chief administrative officer) for North Greenland, thanking him for his "kind willingness to obtain sledge dogs, Eskimo equipment etc., from the Danish colonies in Greenland. I now take the liberty of specifying in greater detail what I require: 50 dogs. 14 complete Eskimo suits of sealskin. 20 prepared sealskins to repair the suits.... 20 dog whips.... sealskin straps.... As far as the dogs are concerned, it is absolutely essential that I obtain the very best it is conceivable to obtain. Naturally I am fully aware that as a result the price must be higher than that normally paid, but I am willing to adapt myself accordingly." [1]

His original intention had been to get the dogs in Alaska, on his way to the Bering Strait, but now with the added "diversion", it would be necessary to have them before the Fram went south.


Notes:

[1] Roald Amundsen, letter to Jens Daugaard-Jensen, 9 September 1909, quoted by Roland Huntford in Scott and Amundsen (New York : Putnam, 1980, c1979), p.218.

No comments:

Post a Comment