February 20, 2007

Wednesday, 20 February 1907

Scott

Ernest Shackleton [1]

Scott, perhaps still smarting from the announcement in the Times of Shackleton's expedition, in which it was noted "that the southern sledge party of the Discovery would have reached a much higher latitude if they had been more adequately equipped," [2] wrote to Scott Keltie, "I am astonished. I am in doubt as to the spirit in which Shackleton has acted -- of course it may be coincidence but it looks as though he has had an inkling of my intentions & has rushed to be first in the field.... Shackleton owes everything to me ... I got him into the Expedition -- I had him sent home for his health but I spared no pains to explain & publish reasons which should destroy any idea that reflected on his character -- First & last I did much for him." [3] "I believe," he added, "that every explorer looks upon certain regions as his own, Peary certainly does and I believe there are African precedents."

Amundsen certainly did not. He would write years later, "I do not belong to that class of explorer who believes that the Polar sea has been created for myself alone. My view is the diametric opposite. The more the merrier; simultaneously at the same place if you like. Nothing stimulates like competition. [That is] the sporting spirit that ought to reign in these regions. First come, first served is an old saying." [4]

Scott's own plans for an Antarctic expedition would not be made public until 1909.


Notes:

[1] Wikimedia Commons.
[2] The Times, 12 February, 1907, quoted by Roland Huntford in Scott and Amundsen (New York : Putnam, 1980, c1979), p.226.
[3] R.F. Scott, letter to Scott Keltie, 20 February 1907, quoted by Roland Huntford in Scott and Amundsen (New York : Putnam, 1980, c1979), p.225.
[4] Roald Amundsen, Gjennem Luften til 88° Nord, p.20, quoted by Roland Huntford in Scott and Amundsen (New York : Putnam, 1980, c1979), p.255.

No comments:

Post a Comment